Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Having a homemade holiday.....

So as the weather turns and the snow starts to cover the homestead, many things are happening here. First, is the season of giving. So many people are having such a hard time and so its great to really find things in your community you can help out in. It doesn't have to be much. It could be sending a card to an elderly person or offering to pick them up for church, or cooking a meal for a family less fortunate. However you help this season, its important to help. It shows our children compassion for others and makes them thankful for the things they have.

Next, my husband has finally decided to start his own business and is quitting his job. I know, to some that may sound crazy, but to us, its what makes sense. He is in a job that no only makes him have to make judgements against his beliefs, its is making him stressed to where he needed to take a leave of absence. We feel God is guiding us in the right direction and we trust Him.

Finally, I have the desire to make comfort foods. I love this time of season for that reason as well as others. I love feeding my family things that I know exactly where they came from and who made them....me. Its also a great time of year for Madeline to help me in the kitchen.

Each year, traditionally, I make stew. It sticks to the ribs on those freezing cold nights and warms us up. My mom (who was not the best cook) always made this recipe growing up and I can honestly say I feed it to my family now.

Stew:
1lb hamburger (we eat organic but any will do)
28 oz can of tomato sauce
28 oz water
onion chopped (all veggies add as much as you like)
broccoli (frozen veggies work great too)
corn
carrots
green beans
1 can kidney beans
garlic powder
pepper
celery seed
brown sugar

Brown meat and add to crock pot. Add tomato sauce and water then the veggies (so not to overflow). Add spices and cook on low all day. Serve with homemade rolls.

I hope this recipe adds warmth to your family in a season filled with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment